Friday, April 23, 2010

TKD Lesson

So a while ago, I promised I'd explain Tae Kwon Do a little more. I feel like making a TKD post today, so here you go.

TKD is a martial art that was developed in South Korean. Historically, It has very close ties to the Japanese martial art, Karate, and the two are often confused. They share most of the same moves, however Tae Kwon Do puts slightly more emphasis on kicking.

Within TKD, there are many branches. The two main branches are called World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) and International TKD Federation (ITF). I know, there's not much of a difference between the words "world" and "international" when used to refer to a sport. Originally, I studied under ITF and earned my black belt under ITF, but the program offered at my school is a WTF program. In order to become an instructor there, I had to completely learn the new style. It was actually pretty hard to do, because a lot of the differences are subtle (such as slightly different ways to perform certain techniques), and it was hard fighting muscle memory to do things their way. Besides the subtle differences, there are also some more noticable ones. One big difference is that they teach different sets of forms. If you don't know what forms are, read my post called "New Form." Another big difference is sparring. Sparring is where two fighters put on pads and fight each other for a set period of time. There's some variation between different schools under the same branch, but here are the basic differences:

WTF sparring: If you've ever watched TKD at the olympics, this is the style you saw. It's usually continuous sparring (meaning the match continues without stopping unless there's a foul during the match). Matches are full contact. You are not allowed to kick off of the same leg without setting your leg down, so you see a lot of alternating kicks. You're also not allowed to punch to the head. Fighters are also required to wear a Hogu, or chest protector. Fighters are allowed to kick to the back as long as the area is covered by the protector. Traditionally, every technique is worth one point, so you almost never see a kick to the head. They've changed it recently so that head techniques are worth more. These matches put emphasis mostly on speed and power, and you don't see much strategy or blocking.

ITF sparring: I prefer this style. Most matches are continuous sparring, but some schools still do point sparring (meaning the match stops every time someone scores a point). Matches are medium contact. Unlike WTF, you're allowed to kick with the same leg without putting it down, so you see a lot of single leg combos. Also, you are allowed to punch to the head. Hogus are not required and most fighters on't wear them (they kill your flexability). However, you're not allowed to kick to the back. Different techniques score different points. The point system varies, but generally, more difficult techniques score more points. In these matches focus much more on strategy and technique. You also see a lot more blocking

Anyway, I think that's enough for today's lesson. If you have any questions, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Reading this post brought back memories. When I was young and in HS, both my brother and studied Tae Kwon Do at a school near my home. We used to go three times a week for class. I remember practicing the different forms in class and sparring with the other students.

    Thanks for reminding me of those lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. no problem. btw, what style did you guys learn? do you remember?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't remember because at the time I didn't know that there were different branches. I went and my old school's web site and from the logo on their site it appears that they teach WTF style. However, I don't remember wearing any Hogu and I believe that that did allow us to kick off the the same leg twice. I never sparred in outside competition but only with the classroom or during the tests where you graded to move to your next belt.

    At the time I left I was a green belt with one stripe. I know I've schools with many different colors that we didn't have. We only had white, yellow, green, red and blank. But each belt had a set number of stripes you would earn on it. So you would go yellow, then yellow with one stripe, then green, green with one stripe, green with two stripes, etc. I've never seen any similar grading so again it may have been something specific to their school.

    I did find their website though and I'm surprised because they are still here and they had been teaching since 1966 and I took my classes in the mid 80s. 44 years later and they are still going strong I guess!

    http://www.leemingertaekwondo.com/home.nxg

    ReplyDelete