Saturday, April 24, 2010

Coming Out Monologues pt 2

So tonight, my school held it's production of the Coming Out Monologues which I participated in. We had an amazing turn out, especially considering that there was a popular band performing at my school at the same time. The audience seemed to really enjoy it. I'm very proud of myself and my castmates. I think we all did a great job.

My monologue had an interesting response. I didn't read my own story; I read someone else's. This person's monologue was about his coming out to his mom as a kinky dominate and her response to it. There was a lot of giggling and laughter in the room as I read the beginning of mine. The laughter was appropriate for the most part, since there was a decent about of humor in the beginning of it. The laughter came to a halt half-way through though. Halfway through, the guy's mom tells him that if any children disappear around the neighborhood, then she'll know who did it. Everyone laughted at first before it registered with them what the mom actually said. I was actually kindof shocked to hear them laugh at the mom's cruel comment; I thought they would understand what the comment ment immediately, rather than take a couple seconds. In hindsight, I'm glad I misunderstood, because hearing the laughter mad me extremely shocked and sad (which was how the character felt after that comment) and it showed on stage. I really wish I would have thought to adlib the line "I just got called a predator.....by my mom." I feel like that line could've brought it home. Oh well. Everyone still understood how painful the mom's comment was eventually.

After the show, I got a lot of funny comments. I have the sneaking suspition that some of my friends now think that I'm into kink (I'm not) haha oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment