Saturday, April 24, 2010

I'm a Mikey, are you?

Well, As I've mentionned in other posts, I'm a fan of mikey's blog, hockeykidmn, and the associated forum, mikeynation. As I found out last night, It seems as though "Mikey" does not actually exist. yo can read the post here http://www.hockeykidmn.com/
I can't express how bad I feel for Jimmy, or for theother kids who had such a strong emotional investment in Mikey for being their hero.
Mikey was never my personal hero. No, I came out long before the blog began. I did have my own heroes though. If it weren't for Corey Johnson's coming out story, http://www.outsports.com/os/index.php/component/content/article/48-archive/226-corey-johnson-comes-out
or Richard Nolan and Robert Pingpank's http://www.nolan-pingpank.com/
I don't think I would be alive today. their stories gave me so much hope and courage. Dick and Bob's story taught me that it was in fact possible to find gay love that lasts, and that you can be happy, while Corey's gave me hope of acceptance and taught me how much difference one person coming out can make a difference in people's lives. These. stories are what drove me to accept myself, come out in high school and have an inspiring story of my own that I can be proud of.

So when I discovered this blog, I had a great deal of respect for Mikey and his work. I saw him as a hero for his followers just has Corey, Dick and Bob had been for me. I can't imagine how hurt and confused these kids must be to find out that their hero doesn't really exist. What these kids need to understand is that even though "Mikey" might not be real, the difference he's made in their lives is. I hope they realize that the strength they've gained and the steps they've taken to accept themselves from reading the blog are real and that they can never be taken away from them. The following of Mikey's blog has proven that "Mikey" does in fact exist. there are tons of Mikeys out there.

I'm a Mikey, are you?
I've decided that now is the time to share my own coming out story, so that is what my next few posts will be about. I promise you that my story is real, and that only names will be changed for privacy (as a reminder, the name "Robbie" is a pseudonym I use).

If you are also a Mikey, please introduce yourself and share your experiences in the comment box! If you want, please send a link to your blog so people reading this can find even more Mikeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment