Sunday, April 18, 2010

My students

At TKD practice this week, our students have been going through pre-testing. Every once in a while, we hold a promotion test where students can earn their next belt rank. At this test, the head of our TKD home school (the TKD program offered at my college is a branch of this man's program) comes down to run everyone's test. Before any of our students can actually test though, my co-instructor and I have to approve them by making sure they know all of the material by having them run through it. That's what pre-testing is. Testing always makes me think back on how far each of my students have come. They really have no idea how proud I am of them. You see all kinds of kids come into TKD. The ones who I'm most proud of are the ones who find some way of bettering themselves through the program. I see angry people come in and watch them slowly learn how to control their tempers. I watch shy kids slowly become more confident and come out of their boxes.

One student, I'll call her Lisa, started coming to class when her friend dragged her along. She used to be extremely depended on her friends for motivation. Now, she's become very strong, independent, confident and no longer needs anyone as a crutch; she now comes to class on her own, even though her friend is now studying abroad and doesn't come to class with her anymore.

I think the student who I'm most proud of is that guy that I'll call Tommy. TKD is something that just does not come natural to Tommy. When he came in, he was single-handedly the most awkward student I've ever seen. However, his mentality in class is the best I've ever seen. He's kind and respectful to everyone in class, he listens to advice, he's willing to try new things all the time, and he's not afraid to give everything his all. He perseveres more than anyone I've seen. He still struggles whenever he has new techniques to learn, but he's one of the better students when it comes to the techniques that he's already learned.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but I felt the need to express how much I care about these kids. (I call them kids, but really they're all around my age)

3 comments:

  1. Your love for your students is very evident. As an RA, I know how you feel, especially with the calling them "kids" when they're not thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I wonder if the feeling of being an instructor is similar to being a parent. I mean, the feelings I have for my students are probably no where near as strong as the feelings a parent has for their kid, but I get an unbelievable amount of joy when I see them slowly get better, and I care a lot for their well-being. I'd go way out of my way for any of them if they needed my help or if they were hurt. Does that sound crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not crazy at all, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I try and explain my job as, "I'm like your mom...but cooler".

    ReplyDelete