Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Office Elections

We had office elections in TKD for the past couple weeks. As it stood before, I was President, with two other black belt instructors being my "assistants," though really we divided the power evenly. The only difference was that I have the connection to the gym which we practice in and to our school's student organization funding committee. I was never elected to the job, the previous instructor chose me because at the time, I was the only other black belt attending class regularly (the two who help me now had issues with the previous instructor).

Anyway, the other two black belts and I decided that we want to be less dictator-like and have the students involved. We did make a note that a black belt had to be president, because A)it was part of our constitution and B)it looks much better to the university if a black belt is in charge.

Our plan didn't go over so well though. Very few people were nominated. The black belts were more or less the only ones that received votes for pres, vp and treasurer. There were tons of students who were nominated for public relations chair lol (pr chairs get to plan our social events).

So I ended up being elected treasurer, while the other two black belts were elected pres and vp. I have mixed feelings about being treasurer. On one hand, treasurer has the most responsibility in the class, and all of the students know this, so it's flattering to be the most trusted. On the other hand, I really dislike the job. I was stuck doing it last year, and handling all of the business bullshit sucks. Still, I'm kindof glad I got the job because frankly, I don't know if I can trust the other 2 black belts to handle the job very well, and I have no problem saying that because they've said it themselves.

On a different note, I learned something interesting about myself yesterday: I get really irritated whenever people give me good advice, but for completely irrelevant reasons. I was in organic chemistry lab, and the experiment required me to add a pinch of table salt. I was being a bad chemist (I openly admit it) and chose not to put on gloves for this. Not wearing gloves is usually a bad idea for different reasons. Which reason depends on the situation. In this situation, my hands may have been dirty and I risked contaminating my sample. I was aware of this, but I was already having a bit of a bad day, so I just didn't care. Plus, it was only salt, so I didn't have to worry about it being corrosive to my skin. Before I took some salt, I carefully checked the label of the container, making sure it was really salt. I also asked the lab assistant if it really was just table salt, and she confirmed. My professor caught me handling the salt with my bare hands and started lecturing me about why that's bad. Here's where the irrelevant part comes in. He was going on and on about how while this time it was salt, next time it could be something that will burn a hole in my hand.

While this is really good advice, it was completely irrelevant to this particular situation. I was fully aware that salt was safe to touch; if I was handling something that wasn't, I would've definitely worn gloves. I also checked both the label and the assistant, making absolutely sure it was salt and not something else. If my professor argued that my hands weren't clean, I'd be okay with getting lectured.

I know I'm being immature about getting mad at this. I also get mad whenever people's explanations for things are completely wrong (or at least in tkd I do).

Question(s) of the day: What are some things that really get on your nerves?
If you'll notice on the right, I now have a formspring! Ask me anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment