Monday, February 7, 2011

Stuff going on, Superbowl and Glee

It's been a really long time, hasn't it?  Guess a lot of stuff's been going on.

Tae Kwon Do's been taking off.  Had some new students join.  A few new guys, which we're really excited about, including the girls.  It used to be that the club would alternate every semester being dominated by guys and girls, but the past few semesters have seen the girls continue to dominate and few/no new guys joining.  Seeing all of these guys join (and clearly wanting to stay) has been a change welcomed by all.

Other TKD news:  We've started a demo team and are currently putting something together.  Technically, the demo team existed last semester, but the student we put in charge of organizing it didn't start things up until recently.  The club had put together a demo at the last minute for a campus event last year.  We had so much fun putting it together, that we decided to do it more in the future.  Since we have a lot more time to prepare this year (and a lot more participants), it's gonna be a lot more elaborate.  We're pretty excited.  Since we teach a mixture of ITF and WTF, we're trying to incorporate elements of each.

Outside of TKD.

There's this guy I like.  "Like" is probably a strong word, since I don't really know him that well, but I know that I really like what little I do know, and that I want to get to know him better.  I met him over a year ago, and I liked him immediately.  I didn't bother getting to know him back then because I was having some relationship issues back then, and I thought getting to know a guy I might like could've made things more complicated.  I don't think I'm very good at handling romantic feelings, so I try to keep things as simple as I can, even if that means denying myself opportunities.  Anyway, I've barely seen this guy since then, but recently, I keep bumping into him.  He remembers my name and who I am, which I find pretty impressive considering a) I've only actually met him once or twice, and that was a long time ago and b) I had long hair when we met, and most people have trouble recognizing me now that I have it short again.  I'd like to think that this is a good sign.  I'm going to try to get to know him better next time I get the chance to.  Hopefully it turns out well.  We'll see.

Sidenote:
 How did you all enjoy the Superbowl?  Personally, I was a little bored.  Granted, I don't watch football all that much, but I will from time to time.  For some reason, I just couldn't keep paying attention to the game.  Maybe I just wasn't watching during the good parts.  It was kindof cool how the Steelers almost came back for the win.  At least some of the commercials were decent.  I learned that fireworks were first created when a dragon drank a Coke.



I was pretty excited to see the return of Glee.  I really am gay, aren't I? Being more excited for a campy, musical tv show than the biggest American sporting event of the year?  It was actually a decent episode (and football themed as well).  For those who didn't watch it, the episode more or less centered on the character Dave Karofsky, a bully character that I mentioned in an earlier post.  In this episode, David is struggling with feelings he has that he won't admit to anyone, including himself, because he's afraid that doing so will cost him his friends and his tough guy reputation at school.  However, the few times in this episode that we see him express these feelings are the only times he's ever looked happy during this show.  As the character Artie puts it, Dave's in the first stage of acceptance: denial.  Towards the end of the episode, Dave continues to deny his feelings because he doesn't want to accept the stigma.  Finn points out to him that if he chooses to express himself, he could help change how their world thinks to make it more accepting.  Dave says that'll never happen.

To viewers new to the show that came in from the Superbowl,  this was an episode about a football player who is denying the fact that he loves to perform in glee club, because being in glee is social suicide.  To those of us who have been watching the show and are well aware that this character is a closeted, self-hating homophobe,  this episode suddenly becomes a giant metaphor for his struggle to accept his sexuality.  I can't express enough praise for Max Adler, who plays Dave, for being such an amazing after.  It's amazing how good he is at portraying this role.  A lot of people have been complaining that his development as a character seemed a little rushed.  I have to agree that it did feel that way while watching the episode, but when I stopped to think about it, his character didn't really "evolve" (as in change) much, we just saw a lot of different sides to him that we haven't seen before. I think his development just seemed rushed since there has never been an episode that's focused on him so much.  All that screentime gave the illusion of sppedy development

-Robbie

1 comment:

  1. If your partner's commitment is in doubt,or you suspect your partner cheating on you,kindly apply for the service of this Cyber genius "hackingloop6 @ gmail . com",he is a legit and reliable hacker,he also improves credit score..Also available on WhatsApp + 1 484  540 - 0785. Tell him I referred you.

    ReplyDelete