Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Glee "Never Been Kissed"



As some of you may already know, I'm a big fan of Glee.  Yes, I'm aware that it's probably gayer than Queer as Folk, and that I'm very stereotypical for liking it. fuck off.

Anyway,  this week's episode was a very significant one for a number of reasons.  It seems like it was written in response to all of the suicides that have been happening recently and came off as a bit of an afterschool special.
Still, it was overall a good episode that touched on some important issues.

SPOILER ALERT

Some backstory:  one of the show's main characters is Kurt Hummel.  Kurt is a gay highschool student who came out early on in the series.  While Kurt was initially portrayed as little more than a one-dimentional stereotype, he quickly became the most interesting character on the show.  The scenes revolving around Kurt's sexuality are probably the best moments in the show.  Much of this is due to the incredible acting of Chris Colfer, who plays Kurt, and Mike O'Mally, who plays his father, Burt.  The great quality of these scenes is also due to how well written and grounded they are.  The scene where Kurt comes out to his father was positive yet realistic, with Burt being immediately supportive but admittedly not 100% comfortable with the idea.

What happened on this episode:
Kurt's been dealing with bullying like he has for the past season and a half.  As the only out kid at his school, he is targeted quite a bit for his sexuality.  However, he seems to be experiencing more than usual lately, mostly from a football player named Dave Karofsky.  Because of this, along with the suggestion by his fellow glee-clubbers to spy on their competition, Kurt decides to visit Dalton Academy, an all-boys boarding school.  While there, he meets an opening gay character named Blaine.  Blaine is somewhat of an idealized character, being openly gay, completely accepted by his friends and lacking any apparent character flaw.  Blaine explains that he transferred to Dalton because he couldn't take the bullying at his own school.  Kurt considers transferring to Dalton himself, but Blaine recommends that Kurt face his homophobia head on, rather than run away from it like he did.

Kurt follows this advice.  After coming back to his own high school, Kurt is shoved into some lockers by Dave.  Kurt chases after him into the boy's locker room.  Kurt confronts Dave, and the more Kurt tells Dave off, the more anxious and upset Dave gets.  The scene climaxes when Dave pulls Kurt in for a long, hard kiss.  Kurt is so shocked that he doesn't move.  When Dave tries to kiss him again, Kurt pushes him back, and Dave storms off in a tantrum.

Later in the episode, Kurt tries to confront Dave again, this time with the help of Blaine.  Blaine tries to empathize with Dave, but Dave denies the kiss ever happened and storms off.


First of all, I have to give props to Max Adler, the actor who plays Dave Karofsky, for delivering an amazing performance last night.  His acting was incredibly believable,  I was also very impressed that the show decided to give a previously very minor character a very interesting storyline.  I know, a closeted gay male who tries to deny/hide his own sexuality by beating up other gay kids is nothing new, but a storyline like this one has a lot of potential.  I think there are a lot of guys out there who are like Dave. So far, Kurt's done a good job representing a lot of problems that gay teen males face, particularly effeminate ones.  However, a single character can't encompass every problem faced.  That's why Dave can be a great addition to the show.  As a big, masculine football player, he can represent the problems that masculine gay teens face.  It would be even better if Dave's parents were introduced, and they turn out to not be supportive of their son's sexuality.  While that's a horrible thing to happen, it is a reality for many gay kids and I think it would be good to represent that.

I was a little disappointed that Dave was the only homophobic football player shown in this episode.  Personally, I think it would've been good if Azimio, another football player who is frequently seen bullying with Dave, was included and seen bullying Kurt.  I think that would show that while some homophobic people are trying to hide their own sexuality, some are simply homophobic.  It would also shed more light on Dave's personal problems.  Not only does he have to hear gay jokes and other homophobic remarks, but he has to hear them come from his closest friends.  He also has to say them himself in order to maintain his image.  I supposed the show has time to do this in the future, but I don't think it would've hurt to show a little bit of it now.

anyway, that's my rant on glee.  And yes, I do want to see Kurt and Dave (eventually) get together. Eventually

If you want to see the episode, click here

If you want to see the big confrontation, click here

If Dave really does become more fleshed out, and I really hope he does, he'll probably sing eventually.  I've heard that Max Adler did musical theater in high school, so he probably has at least some skill.
Some songs I could picture Dave singing:
Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen (just replace the feminine pronouns with masculine ones)
Mr. Brightside by the Killers
Shadow Stabbing by Cake
Streets of Philadelphia by Bruce Springsteen
and maybe Here's Where I Stand by Tiffany Taylor

8 comments:

  1. I posted a comment but it disappeared.

    I watched the clip again, this time to watch Dave instead of Kurt. The look on Dave's face as he went in for a second kiss, and then when Kurt pushed him away. He had just made himself more vulnerable than he ever had, giving his big secret away, only to be rejected by Kurt. The actor showed all the emotions. Of course Dave would put up the walls of denial again and pretend that it never happened when Kurt and Blaine talked to him.

    I'll be pissed if this comment disappears too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it made it through this time lol.
    I agree. I can't praise Max Adler (Dave) enough for how good of a performance he made.

    I've rewatched it a few times, and I realized that Kurt was insulting Dave way more than he thought he was. Pretty much everything Kurt said had some deeper meaning to it that he was unaware of. For example, when Kurt says "you can't punch the gay out of me," that also means Dave can't punch the gay out of himself either.

    Later, Kurt calls him "extraordinarily ordinary." I don't know about anyone else, but when I was still in the closet, I felt anything but normal and ordinary, and I would've given anything to feel that way. If the character Dave feels the same way, the Kurt's insult must've felt painfully ironic, which might've been what pushed him over the edge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to correct myself. In my post I said that Max Adler did musical theater in high school. Actually, he was a first chair all-state show choir member in high school. Gonna go out on a limb and say this guy can sing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew a kid like this in high school and would have to say that Max's performance was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn it!

    Am I the only gay guy that doesn't watch Glee?

    I might have to see what I'm missing!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol don't worry I know some guys who don't. you're alright. I actually despised the show and all of the hype. Then I gave it a chance, and now I'm a bit of a die-hard fan. I recommend it, although you DO have to put up with a lot of bullshit between all of the good parts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree when Dave Karofsky said to his dad that he thinks Kurt is making this up because he like him; did you notice the look on Mr. Karofsky's face. I think Dave Karofsky was testing the waters with his dad to see how his dad would respond in public.

    I think that the writer's are setting us up for this romance between Kurt and Dave. It has potential. Yes, Kraofsky is a mean bully, but the writer's have shown us the psychology behind it. He is a struggling closeted gay jock, who does not have anyone he can trust to talk to about his feelings.

    I think he is transferring his feelings about Kurt in a negative way, but I think Dave Karofsky is in love with Kurt. I bet that since Kurt is now at Dalton, we may begin to see Dave show his true emotions about Kurt. It is one thinng to have the object of your affections around you all day and you are afraid to express it in a health manner. Imagine being a closted gay jock... I was suspecting that the school would have heard of Dave Kraofsky trying to committ suicide or taking drastic action. This may come up in later episodes. These difficult trials of Dave will eventually bring Kurt and him closer. I suspect that he secretly travels to New York City at the end of this season and surprises Kurt with a romantic heartfelt display of love. The cliffhanger will be Kurt's response and if Dave goes public with their relationship if they both want it. This would be a perfect season finale. It would be better if Kurt thinks at first that it is Blaine.. only to find out that all the romantic gifts, messages and things that he likes... that Dave Karofsky over the years has really been paying attention to Kurt and has had a secret crush.

    I am not justifying the bullying by any means... but the chracters and the writer's have to work through it in a realistic fashion in order for us viewers to be invested in this romance. I at least want it to last two years... highlighting the growth and pain of a complicated relationship like this. Not only is there the Jock and the Artsy aspect, but there is one who is openly gay and the other who is not. In addition there is their family and friends dynamics. This coupling has so much story potential....

    I do not think that Blaine is the person for Kurt. I think he will be a source of strength and guidance. Kurt will mislead himself into thinking that their interactions are leading to something more, but I would like for it to be revealed eventually that Blaine has a minority boyfriend (as yet unseen) and how that shakes a bit of Kurt's dependance upon their friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a little disappointed that "Furt" didn't show much from Dave's point of view. I really want his side to be explored. I agree that Dave was "testing the waters" a little bit with his dad.

    I suppose it's possible that Dave has genuine feelings for Kurt. I don't know if they're developed enough to be considered love, though. I think it's more along the lines of a small crush, coupled with the fact that Kurt is the only gay kid in his school, which amplifies his feelings. That's not to say that love can't develop though.

    As far as the New York finale goes, it does sound romantic, but I think a slower, more subtle development into a relationship would be way more realistic. I don't think Dave will go from where he is now to confessing his feelings in such a dramatic way in a few month's time, nor do I think Kurt will be ready to forgive him that soon.

    I do really want them to be together; I'm a sucker for redemption stories. However, I think I'd prefer it to be more of an endgame relationship.

    In any case, I think it's too late for a 2 year relationship. Since Kurt (and probably Dave) are halfway through their junior year, there's only 1.5 years until they graduate, and I don't think the show will follow them through college. I suspect that if anything, we'll get a year at the most

    ReplyDelete