Monday, December 20, 2010

Came out again..... sortof.....



We recently had a Christmas party for my step-mom's side of the family.  As far as I know, not many people on my step-mom's side of the family know I'm gay.  A big part of that reason is that I'm really not that close to them, so I don't have any real desire to keep them informed about my life. Another reason is that, because this branch is fairly religion and conservative, my coming out might make them criticize my step-mom, who so far has been very accepting of me, for not taking a strong stance against my sinful ways, or something stupid like that.
I think there are at least a couple members of this branch that have found out, but they haven't brought it up.

Anyway, at this Christmas party, I was in the basement with my younger cousins.  Their ages ran about 6-13, I think.  I can never keep track.  Anyway, they were playing the question game with me and the other high school/college aged cousins, where they ask us a lot of really obscure and sometimes ridiculous questions to see if they can get a funny response out of us.  They don't have very high standards for comedy.  They laughed for about 10 minutes when one of my cousins said his school's mascot is a bulldog.

It came to my turn to be interrogated.  They started asking me questions about my Wii.  They asked me when I got it, and I said "I got it when I first came out."  They started laughing, and I asked why.  They pointed out that I said when "I" first came out, instead of when "it" first came out.  I laughed and said that I didn't first come out until a little while after I bought my Wii.  I was being completely serious, but I don't think any of them picked up on it.  My little sister, who knows I'm gay and was in the room, looked at me and started laughing.

Yeah. That's my holiday story. Later

-Robbie 

5 comments:

  1. They probably have no idea what the term "coming out" means. Holidays may not be the best time to come out. I'm surprised that the teens didn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha actually, the first time I came out was to my brother on Christmas Day, exactly 31 days after I got my Wii (had I known right off the top of my head when the Wii first came out, I would've told my cousins that). Came out to my older sister the next day. It turned out really well both times, but I know what you mean. Holidays are stressful on everyone, and coming out might add additional stress.
    The reason I picked Christmas was because I knew that despite the stress, it was a time that I could guarantee that I would have the whole day to spend with my brother and sister, giving me a large opportunity to come out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. recently, i was having a "family day" with the rents, my brother, his wife and their youngest daughter... i was playing uno with my niece... E., shes 10, asked me where i got my "new" shirt... - its a long-sleeved blue velour collared deal from mossimo and really warm- i dont wear it often so i think it was new to her.. without really thinking about what i was saying, i replied "from my ex-boy friend.." she looked up, smiled and the card game continued... i came out to her and its like either she already knew or really doenst give a shit... shes my favorite....

    ~ cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Glinda said, "Come out, come out wherever you are . . . "

    ReplyDelete
  5. @David, she was your favorite until she kicked your ass at uno, right? ;) haha She sounds like a great kid

    @Fan of Casey, you know, some of my little cousins actually sound like munchkins.

    ReplyDelete